“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” --Proverbs 3:5-6
That’s the verse that kept playing through my mind as we contemplated this move. It also cropped up unexpectedly in our pastor’s sermon, during prayer time and inspirational reading, and at other random times.
My own understanding? Don’t take any risks. Stay put until the market improves. And absolutely do not even think of moving before you have a solid contract on the house you’re leaving behind.
But did I mention that new grandbaby was due the first week of April??? Oh, how I longed to be there in time for that blessed event! And not just to hold our precious baby girl but to be available to help our daughter and son-in-law as needed, especially since they were already busy parents of two school-age children.
So I began to believe God was nudging us to take a huge leap of faith. Still with only intermittent interest in our current home, we planned another house-hunting trip. By now we were able to narrow our search parameters to certain neighborhoods that were most convenient to where our daughter lived. After all, what was the point of moving across the country only to be separated by drive time and traffic congestion?
We also urged our Realtor to find out whatever she could about that house. Online real estate information indicated the house had not sold, so we wanted to know if the owners planned to relist at some point or if they’d changed their minds about selling.
As it turned out, they still planned to move eventually but after a disappointing few months on the market had decided to withdraw the listing for a while. They were more than willing to let us view their home, so our Realtor set up an appointment.
And we hoped to either put our minds to rest that this was not the house for us so we could stop wondering . . .
Or maybe . . . just maybe . . .
Next time, Chapter 7, “Are we really doing this???”